I had another post in mind to write for today, but was unable to write it due to coming home unexpectedly. Crazy to think only a week ago I was doing a life update post, and now things have changed drastically! I have online classes until the week after Easter, which isn’t a big deal since I only have 2 real classes and both of them are fairly easy. But since schools in Michigan were closed, I got the news Friday morning that I wouldn’t have to return to my internship until April 6 at the earliest. So I decided to pack up a lot of my things and head to my parents house for this unexpected break.
As someone who has quite a few hobbies and enjoys slowing down, the thought of staying home for a week or two doesn’t panic me as I know it does many people. When I think about how much I can get done for school, how many books I can read, and how many projects I can finish, it sounds pretty nice actually. But I know everyone doesn’t feel that way, and many people are questioning what they can do for the next few weeks while not having work or school. I compiled a list that I wanted to share because this is the perfect time to make a dent in your to-do lists or pick up a new hobby or skill!
- Get outside – just because you don’t want to be around people doesn’t mean you actually have to stay indoors. Go in your backyard and read a book if the weather is nice. Take a walk or bike ride around your neighborhood. Go for a hike. Plenty of options that still get you out of the house and enjoying nature!
- Read a book- the perfect time to make a dent in your TBR list! I have already finished 2 books and I can’t wait to get through more this week. If you need any recommendations, checkout my monthly round-ups to get some ideas!
- Watch a new show – while I typically don’t watch a lot of TV, I will admit now might be a good time actually. I am in the middle of Parks & Rec and One Tree Hill, but between Netflix and Hulu there are SO many options for shows to start. I’m sure you already have a million recommendations from friends, so dive into one!
- Clean your house– totally up to you how far you take this. Could be a simple vacuuming and wiping down counters. Could turn into a deep clean of drawers and cabinets.
- Do a DIY project– this could be a house project or a craft project, but if you have a project you have been putting off, now is the time to tackle it!
- Do anything you have been putting off– along the lines of the above, do anything you have been putting off! Need to clean out your inbox? Do it now. Organize that closet? Now is the time.
- Declutter– Cabinets, closets, drawers, under your bed, etc. Now is the time to get it all cleared out!
- Listen to a new podcast– see some of my recommendations here!
- Make a new playlist– why not make some new Spotify playlists to match different moods now that you have the time?
- Read blogs– shameless plug to catch up on any old content you may have missed from your favorite bloggers!
- Watch Youtube – going along with number 10, catch up on any content you may have missed from your favorite Youtubers! Or find some new ones to watch! I’ve been watching a lot of thrift flips and plant videos recently, but you can find good videos on any topic you like!
- Get crafty– Now could be the perfect time to pick up a new crafty hobby like sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, making jewelry, etc. If you want to make clay earrings like the ones pictured above, checkout my post on how I make them!
- Bake or cook– what better time to try some of those recipes that you have had pinned for months on Pinterest?!
- Learn a new skill through an online course – just because you are stuck at home doesn’t mean you can’t learn. There are quite a few online places that allow you to take courses for free or for a small fee. I know Skillshare is one I hear about a lot, but there are plenty of other options out there if you search too!
- Learn a new language or brush up on one you already know– try downloading Duolingo and learn some new language skills!
- Write a book – okay so you might not be able to write a whole book in 2 weeks. But if you have always wanted to write a book, now is the time to start it! The hardest part is starting right?! So why not try to write a couple chapters at least during this time.
- At home workouts– there are SO many workout videos on Youtube these days, ranging from yoga to ab workouts. Try searching around for something that interests you!
- FaceTime a friend– just because we can’t be with friends in person doesn’t mean you can’t talk on the phone or FaceTime. Pick a short show to binge-watch together over FaceTime, have coffee or tea with each other over FaceTime, or just catch up!
- Do a puzzle– especially if you live with others, try to tackle a 500 or 1000 piece puzzle during this time! My family does one every Christmas when we are all at home for a bit, so now would also be a good time to pull one out!
- Play boardgames– again, if you live with others, pull out some old board games and get in the competitive spirit! Or learn new card game together. Again, so many different options if want to find a new one!
Is there anything you would add to this list? Let me know in the comments below! Stay healthy!